Listings for localites
in the Pruzany District
* Linowa (Linewa)
Sielec (22nd listing of the name )
Sielec, a town on the
river Jasiodla, at the mouth of the Bakshty river, district of Pruzhany, some
27or 28 verst east of Pruzhany, st
precinct of the Polish township of
Siedlec. In the year 1878 the town counted 2,306 inhabitants, 1,126 male
and 1,180 female. Of these 932 were Jews. It has a governing body and a precinct
comprising six townships: sielec, noskovsky, rudnicky, kotrzansky, dobuchynsky (Ogrodnik)
and nikitynsky (Smolan). The town has its own municipal council, a Russian
Orthodox church, a catholic chapel belonging to the Sehnevicz parish, formerly
part of the parish of the Pruzhany deanery.
170 verst (*) from Grodno, next to a main road leading from Pruzhany to Slonim,
is located in the 1
There is a Jewish house
of prayer, a public school and a hospital. The township is located on a flat
stretch of unforested land, and is covered with black soil and clay. At one time
this area belonged to the royal family. It was bequeathed in the year 1570 by
King Zygmont August to Anne of Radzivil of Kishchyn, in the Vilno district, who
upon her marriage to Krzysztof Sadovsky signed it over to him. The town was
returned to the Radziwil family, who established here a protestant parish. In
1603 Laurentius Petrovius became the minister of the newly established parish.
On May 10th,
1626, a document was signed in Orly by a Sielec priest, Lukash Kozminusz sent
here by a priest Adam Raszecky, to replace the superintendent of Zmujdziec.
According to manuscripts dating
back to 1704, the priest lived off the fruit of the land produced by both
In 1733 part of the
Oszmiansky confederation, established on behalf of Stanislaw Leszczynsky, to
oppose August III, experienced a serious setback. On February 9, 1839 Alexander
Okinczyc was born here. In 1859 the town ownership was transferred to Count
Zamoysky. In the year 1879 Sielec and Jundzilovicho (part of the Slonim
district), 23,470 (dz) in area, were purchased by Golcz. Some of the Sielec
properties are 7000 (dz) in area, of this 5000 (dz) is forested. The town also
has two distilleries, two brick yards and a brewery. The Orthodox deanery of
Sielec comprises 8 parishes, has 8 parish and 2 affiliate churches, 2 cemetary
chapels, and 23,465 parishoners.
* A verst is an old Russian unit of distance, 1
verst =1066.78m or just over 1 km.