Listings for localites
in the Pruzany District
* Linowa (Linewa)
Town of Narewka, situated on a river by the same
name, is part of the Pruzany district, Polish precinct No.5, located some 60
verst (*) from Pruzany, and 140 verst (*) from Grodno. The town had 863
inhabitants, 448 male and 418 female. Of the inhabitants 778 are Jews. The town
features a Russian Orthodox church, a synagogue, a post office and a boat
landing. It is governed under a polish precinct, overseeing three townships:
Zastawa, Masiewska, and Suchopolska. The town has a Russian Orthodox parish,
with deanery in Shershov, listing 2,344 parishoners (1,115 men and 1,229 women).
In addition to the parish church, there is also an affiliate church and a chapel
on the cemetery grounds. At one time there was also an affiliate of the catholic
parish of Jalovka.
* A verst is an old Russian unit of distance, 1
verst =1066.78m or just over 1 km.